National Permit For Your Vehicle: Details to Check Status, Make Payments & Download National Permit Online
In India, on the basis of the type and utility of the vehicle, permits are issued that enable vehicles to move from one place to another. These permits are applicable for two kinds of vehicles: goods carrying vehicles and passenger carrying vehicles. Such vehicles need to apply for either a State Permit or a National Permit.
A National Permit, also known as an All India National Permit, is an official document that provides authorisation to goods carrying vehicles to move out of their home state. According to rule 86 and 87 of the Central Motor Vehicles Act, 1989, a national permit is issued for at least four states, in addition to the state where it was applied for. Learn all about the national permit system, how to apply for a national permit and all other relevant national permit details.
National Permit Online Application Process
Generally, for all commercial transportation purposes, you need to apply for a vahan national permit to legally carry out commercial activities in the country. It is important to remember that the national permit validity in India is for 9 years for a motor cab, and for 8 years for other types of motor vehicles.
Before applying for a national permit, you need to have the following documents in place:
- Original registration certificate of the vehicle
- Vehicle’s fitness certificate
- Insurance certificate of the vehicle
- Proof of tax payment to the Home state in the current quarter
- Form 46
- Form 48
- Fee for national permit duly paid
- Demand drafts, made in favour of transport authorities, agreed in respect of other states towards payment of taxes
- Proof of green tax payment (wherever applicable)
With the above documents, in order to obtain an online national permit, you need to visit your respective Regional Transport Office (RTO). Once you submit the application for the national permit, along with the documents mentioned above and the authorisation national permit fee, the data granting you the national permit will be updated on the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH)’s Parivahan Sewa portal. After the payment is made, your zonal RTO will hand over the Parivahan National Permit to you.
How to Check National Permit Status for your Vehicle
Once you have submitted your documents and made the payment to obtain your national permit, you may have to wait a few days before you get the national permit details for your vehicle. In order to perform a national permit online status check, you can simply follow the below steps:
Step 1: Log on to the Parivahan Sewa portal
Step 2: Under the ‘Online Services’ section on the menu bar, select 'National Permit'
Step 3: On the new page where you will be redirected to, enter your vehicle’s registration number and the last five characters of your chassis number.
With this, you can check national permit status for your vehicle easily. You can also do an online national permit verification for your vehicle to confirm the details. Along with that, the Parivahan Sewa portal allows you to check and verify the status of your national permit online payment by providing the above information.
National Permit Fee Structure in India
The national permit fees vary depending on the category of the vehicle. In general, the national permit fee structure in India is:
|Type of Vehicle||Fee Payable||Permit Period|
|Light Goods Vehicle||2015/-
Rs. 500 (authorisation)
|Heavy Goods Vehicle||2515/-||5 yrs.|
In case of a national permit, a permit other than a temporary permit issued in accordance to Section 87 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, or a special permit, will be in effect for 5 years from the date of issuance. Post that, the all India national permit requires to be renewed, and the fee for your national permit renewal will be the same as the time of issuance.
Step-By-Step Process For Online Payment of National Permit
To have a national permit issued to your vehicle, you are required to pay a requisite amount as fee. Once you have applied for a national permit, a common question that arises later is how to pay national permit fee online. In this digital era, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has provided a simple solution to this question via its Parivahan Sewa portal.
To make your national permit online payment, you need to follow the steps mentioned below:
Step 1: Log on to the Parivahan Sewa portal.
Step 2: Under the ‘Online Services’ section on the menu bar, select ‘National Permit’.
Step 3: Under the ‘Payment and Transaction Status’ section, click on ‘Online Payment of National Permit’.
Step 4: You will then be redirected to a new page, where you will be prompted to enter your vehicle’s registration number and the last five characters of your chassis number.
Step 5: You can then make the composite fee payment via card or net banking.
The national permit authorisation for operating throughout the territory of India is granted to you after you have made the national permit payment.
Rules and Conditions to Get a National Permit in India
Before you get a national permit for your vehicle, you must check national permit rules in the country. The regulations for national permit for cars, or national permit for two wheelers are different from passenger vehicles moving interstate or national permit for trucks rules. According to the national permit system, the rules to follow and conditions to be met to get a national permit are:
- According to rule 86 and 87 of Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989, a national India permit is issued for a minimum of four continuous states, which includes the home state.
- The age of a vehicle to be eligible for a national permit should not exceed 12 years. In case of multi-axle vehicles, the maximum age to get a national permit is 15 years.
- Form 46 and Form 48 are mandatory to apply for a vahan national permit.
- A national permit for a motor cab expires after 9 years from the date of issuance. For vehicles other than a motor cab, the national permit expires after 8 years.
- In case of renewal of national permit, an application along with the permit renewal fee is required to be submitted 15 days prior to the date of expiry of the permit.
- In case of replacement of the vehicle, the permit holder, after taking the due permission from the issuing authority, can replace the vehicle covered by the permit with another vehicle of the same category, for which a period of 4 months is allowed.