Registration Certificate (RC): Check Vehicle Registration and Owner Information Online
One of the few important things related to buying and driving a vehicle is getting it duly registered. To do so, you must obtain a Registration Certificate (RC) for your vehicle. According to the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, it is mandatory for all vehicle owners to have an RC against their vehicle in order to drive it. An RC is an official document that submits as proof that your motor vehicle is registered with the Indian government.
How to check vehicle registration information/ RC details online: A step-by-step guide
It is very simple to check vehicle RC details online. The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways created the Vahan e-service portal that serves as a centralised national register for all registered vehicles in the country. Through this online portal, users can get to know vehicle details on our Vahan Jankari application. In order to get the RC owner details, as well as know about the vehicle, you need to follow the following steps:
Step 1: Log on to our Vahan Jankari application
Step 2: Click on the “Registration Jankari” Section
Step 3: Enter your vehicle number.
On entering the correct particulars, you will be able to view the vehicle RC details, the vehicle RC status as well as the RC owner details.
How to check vehicle registration details with SMS on your phone
Apart from doing an online RC check, users can also view the vehicle RC status and owner information via SMS as well. By sending a message, you can receive information with the vehicle details such as the owner’s name, vehicle’s make and model, RC/FC expiry, insurance details, etc.
Step 1: Type VAHAN < space > Vehicle Registration Number
Step 2: Send the SMS to 7738299899
How to check details of your vehicle registration certificate - Complete RC overview
On the Vahan portal, you can get all the data registered as the RTO vehicle information for all vehicles. It shows the complete vehicle details as per the registering authority. When you go to check vehicle RC status online, you will receive the following information:
- Registration number
- Registration date
- Chassis number
- Engine number
- Owner’s name
- Vehicle class
- Fuel type
- Vehicle maker / vehicle model
- Fitness / REGN expiry date
- MV tax details
- Insurance expiry date
- PUCC expiry date
- Emission norms
- RC status
- Whether the vehicle is financed or not
Step 1: Log on to https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/
Step 2: Click on ‘Online Services’ section on the top menu bar
Step 3: From there, select ‘Vehicle Related Services’
Step 4: You will be redirected to a new page, where you will be prompted to enter your state.
Step 5: Select your state from the drop down menu.
You will then be redirected to the relevant Vehicle Services page based on your state. From there, you can apply for a vehicle registration certificate online.
- Copy of PAN card
- Passport sized photographs
- Purchase invoice of the vehicle
- Address proof
- Attested copy of vehicle insurance
- Temporary registration details issued by the dealer
- Valid identification proof
- Form 20
- Form 21
- Form 22
- Form 22 - A
- Two-wheelers: Rs. 300
- LMV (Non-transport): Rs. 600
- Medium Goods and Passenger Vehicles: Rs. 1000
- Heavy Goods Vehicles: Rs. 1500
- Heavy Passenger Vehicle: Rs. 5000
- Imported Motor Vehicles: Rs. 3000
- Imported Motorcycles: Rs. 5000
- File an FIR at your nearest police station.
- Fill Form 26 to apply for a duplicate RC.
- In case your vehicle is on loan, get the form signed by the financier.
- Form 26
- Copy of the FIR
- Tax payment details for the past 4 quarters
- Insurance certificate
- An NOC by the financier
- A valid Pollution Under Control Certificate (PUUC)
- Form 26 (2 copies)
- Original RC
- Identification proof
- Address proof
- Chassis imprint
- Insurance details
- PUC details
- Visit https://digilocker.gov.in/ and register yourself.
- Under the tab ‘Issued Documents’, select Ministry of Road Transport and Highways
- You will be redirected to a new screen, where you need to select ‘Registration of Vehicles’
- You will then be prompted to enter your Registration number and your Chassis number.
- On submission of the above details, you will then get the RC, which you can download in different file formats under the ‘Issued Documents’ tab.
- NOC from the financier
- Form 35 (2 copies)
- Original registration certificate
- Aadhar Card
- Insurance policy
- Pollution Under Control (PUC) certificate
- Passport sized photographs
- Driving Licence
- Payment receipt copy (if paid online)
To check your vehicle RC status online through the Parivahan website, you must follow the below mentioned steps:
Step 1: Visit the Parivahan Sewa Portal at https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/
Step 2: Click on the ‘Online Service’ section
Step 3: Select the ‘Vehicle Related Services’ option
Step 4: From the drop down menu, select the state where the registration certificate has been applied from.
Step 5: Enter your vehicle registration number
Step 6: Select the ‘State RTO’ from the drop-down menu
Step 7: Select the ‘Status’ option from the menu on top of the page and click on ‘Know Your Application Status’ option
Step 8: Enter your application number, the captcha code and click on Submit.
Step 9: Select the ‘View Report’ option.
After the above steps are done, you will be redirected to a page with all the details about your RC application and its status.