Whenever we hear about ‘Telematics’, we think about the industries that run on vast fleets. This is mainly due to the reason that telematics plays a very crucial role when it comes to the vehicle industry. Today, we know that data and information rule the world. It is true that telematics is an essential aspect of the vehicle industry, but there are several other industries where telematics is employed. And we show you how Telematics can be the key for global growth.
Telematics is the association of telecommunication with informatics, which is the science of collecting, manipulating, storing and properly utilizing all the information collected from remote “objects”, i.e., vehicles.
We explore the other industries where Telematics can improve business prospects. And the industries we will refer to are dependent on fleet management. So first, let’s take a look at why telematics is prominent for fleet management.
Boost in Performance
- Due to the smooth flow of data between the driver and manager, telematics allows an open communication platform. Hence, it helps in building a strong bond between them and increases transparency.
- Telematics has an updated live-traffic feature because of its precise mapping system. This allows the driver to avoid unnecessary traffic and meet his delivery deadlines.
Telematics has improved safety exponentially. This is a very important feature since the welfare of the driver and asset are considered as a top priority during any delivery. This is done by –
- The Weather Update feature helps the driver in keeping a track of the climate and conditions of the area, thus planning his trip accordingly.
- Being conscious that all the movements are being tracked, keeps the driver more aware and in check, thus enhancing his safety.
- As a business, there are two aspects that help any organization in growing to great heights. Both of them are related to satisfaction, where one is job satisfaction and the other is customer satisfaction. If one observes closely, both of them are interdependent.
- The features that telematics offer increases productivity and reduces the workload. This, in turn, helps the organization perform better which ultimately keeps the customer happy.
Reduction in Operation Cost
- We are aware that telematics keeps track of every movement. This functionality helps the managing team in analysing the actions of the team continuously. Eventually, this accommodates them into serving better and finding ways to reduce any unnecessary expenditure.
Optimise Vehicle Performance
- Constant check-ups and inspection of the rides help the manager to make sure that the vehicles are in perfect shape. This, in turn, results in timely servicing and improves the vehicle’s performance.
Also read: Top Questions About Telematics Answered
Scheduled Alerts for Repairs
- Managers and drivers can know beforehand if their vehicles need attention. This allows them to take action before it’s too late.
- Telematics makes it possible for the drivers to participate in the meetings virtually even when they are on the road.
- Not only their worth in increased with this, but as a whole, helps the management in improving their fleet services. This is influenced by the inputs from the drivers as well, and can play a crucial role.
Strive For Superior Driver User-Experience
- The User Experience intensifies driver’s performance. This allows them to be more productive and also enjoy while working.
- The UI/UX also makes it possible for the drivers to get rewarded for meeting precise delivery times and keeping up with the safety goals.
- With the enhancement of the Internet of Things (IoT) and cloud computing technology, the fleet manager and driver can store the data directly on a virtual cloud. This not only reduces paperwork drastically but also enhances the security of the data.
- Telematics guarantees that fleet management adheres to the industry standards and is obedient to the general regulations.
- With it, the transportation industry can work with real-time interaction, which intensifies coordination and helps in achieving targets effectively. Telematics solutions make sure that compliance is met.
As you can see, all these functionalities of telematics help enhance the productivity of the transportation industry. Moreover, it keeps them transparent which allows them to improve further.
Now that we’re aware of telematics’ immense contribution to fleet management, let’s take a look at the other industries where telematics solutions are used. You can read about this in detail here.
1. Service Companies
- Organizations which provide services in the fields like HVAC (Heating, Ventilating, and air conditioning) or plumbing often require different fleet support based on the needs of the assignment.
- During the time of operations, telematics features such as real-time location updates and other assets allow the owners and managers to properly execute their services.
2. Construction Industry
- One can very well understand the demand and need of this business, especially in developing countries like India where construction activities have to happen regularly.
- Based on their operation, they might require various types of vehicles, be it heavy, light, huge or small. Also, the machinery used in construction sites is quite expensive.
- The reason why this industry uses telematics is largely related to safety concerns. The live updates allow them to prevent theft. The real-time location allows the manager to track their vehicles even in remote areas.
3. Government Fleets
- With the rise in modernization, there has been a massive need for vehicles that work for the welfare of the society such as street sweepers, recycling trucks, emergency vehicles, and other public works vehicles.
- The telematics technology allows these vehicles to be managed through a central authority. This helps the government authorities to deploy proper vehicles as per the needs of the area.
- Also, the live updates and vehicle analysis keeps the management on track and makes it possible for them to know the condition of the deployed vehicle even in small areas.
These are the major industries where the use of telematics has shown stable growth. Moreover, as time passes, the technology enhances with the contributions from IoT, Cloud technology and now with the assistance of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence. All of them combined with the telematics will surely boost up the technology to support other industries too. This, in turn, will help in the overall development of the sectors and assist them to rise globally.