Over the years, technology has developed rapidly. Since the evolution of computers, the progression has been steadfast. Basic programming has now paved the way for artificial intelligence, internet of things, telematics, and machine learning.
One thing is certain though; this growth is ranging only upwards. Through these technologies grew several industries. One of the most notable growth was witnessed in the vehicle industry.
Since transportation grew exponentially, to maintain the development, fleet telematics grew in parallel. In this article, we will talk about the 5 things about Telematics that you may not have known.
Make your business more profitable with LocoNav’s Telematics
But first, let’s do a recap of what this technology is all about!
The term ‘telematics’ covers a huge spectrum. It is the combination of telecommunications and informatics in fleet management. Telecommunication deals with the free flow of data. And Informatics handles the data itself, from retrieval to processing.
Automotive telematics makes a fleet more efficient and thereby, makes it easier to manage and control all operations on the road.
In simpler words, it is the technology which makes it possible for us to share vehicular data over a long-distance transmission. The massive rise in vehicle volume has made this technology and its features far more valuable to fleet managers and owners.
These are many major features of telematics trackers that make it a valuable weapon in the arsenal of the fleet industry. But that’s not all. It has some other highly advanced features too, which are lesser known. And we will tell you the top 5 lesser known facts about vehicle telematics:
1. Implement safe driving behaviour
Long journeys on the road can be exhausting and tiring. Along with this, comes the unpredictable weather and the pressure of timely delivery. All these can lead to the driver not functioning efficiently.
But here’s how a telematics device will help in this situation:
- Every movement of the driver including how fast the vehicle is going, acceleration rate, braking time and other factors are being measured. This helps in driver evaluation in line with the standard requirements of the company.
- Based on the result, the driver is rewarded if he is performing well or counseled if he lacks in some aspects.
- Finally, this helps in improving the work rate of the company.
2. Advocate compliance
- We know that Telematics helps in organizing the fleet. But they also help the vast industry to be in sync with the industry norms and mandates.
- These can be in terms of speed, load, vehicle model, emission norms, etc.
- By reviewing vehicle performance with the government standards as baseline, this technology makes sure that compliance is maintained.
3. Make drivers feel included
- There is no doubt that drivers are the backbone of the fleet industry. But it’s also true that their contribution is majorly limited only to the outside i.e., on the roads. With the emergence of fleet telematics providers, this is changing.
- It is now possible for the driver to be virtually present in a meeting. The insights of the driver can be very useful since they know the roads better than anyone else in the room. Using their experience and working upon those suggestions will surely help the business to move forward.
- Not only this, he can have many frequent conversations with the manager and the rest of his crew. This helps them feel connected.
4. Engaging user experience
- The UX/UI has grown rapidly over the past few years. Its involvement with this technology allows drivers to interact easily with the interface.
- This has a profound effect on how the drivers end up functioning. Since the platform would be easy to use, they would be able to utilise the functionalities for maximum benefits.
- This will not only motivate the drivers but will also make the job more interesting.
5. Be one with safety
- Fleet management has now started relying on cloud computing massively. The use of telematics technology enables managers and drivers to store data on cloud. This not only saves time from sifting through hordes of data, but also enhances the security of the documents in case of emergency.
- The tech allows the drivers to have some entertainment or communicate with family in the relaxation period without compromising the security of the fleet.
- Moreover, the cloud ensures reduction of paperwork. This gives the manager as well as the driver a lot of time which they can use for the betterment of the business.
Guess what? That’s not all. We bring you a bonus of even more benefits that you can enjoy with Telematics!
- Enhanced Productivity
Due to the organized performance of vehicle telematics solutions, the efficiency of the fleet increases.
- A telematics device allows the fleet manager to have real-time communication with the driver. This free flow of data avoids any miscommunication and therefore builds a good relationship between them. We are well aware that trust is an important factor between co-workers in an organization, which leads to further growth.
- Advanced routing and mapping system help the driver to avoid long roads. Moreover, you don’t have to worry about being stuck in traffic because of the traffic update feature. Ultimately, you can reduce the time taken to reach the destination.
- Due to successful completion of the task, this will allow the driver to add driving hours in his daily hours of service (HOS). This will act as a reward system for hard working drivers.
- Reduction in Operation Cost
Every organization wants to save money and ensure that the resources are being managed and used properly. Telematics solution plays a major role in this –
- Since the operation is carried out in a large number, saving even a few idle minutes can mean preventing wastage of large amount of fuel. This will not only save your costs, but will also help in utilizing the resource properly.
- The FMS, using IoT can detect and inform the driver as well as the manager if the vehicle needs attention. The detailed analysis makes it possible for them to know, plan and schedule the routine check-ups in advance.
3. Optimize Vehicle Performance
- This “black box” device gives a complete report of the vehicle after every ride. This makes it possible for the driver as well as the manager to know how their vehicle is performing.
- Moreover, this also makes them aware if they need to make any modification for the betterment of their ride. This avoids the complete breakdown of the vehicle and thereby ensuring high performance of the ride.
We are sure that knowing these hidden aspects of Telematics technology has made it a top priority in your business. It is true that nothing is certain on the road; all one can do is prepare their best to deliver the best services. And this advanced technology can certainly help you in doing so.
LocoNav offers your business solutions for Vehicle Tracking, Fleet Monitoring and Telematics. LocoNav helps you in optimising your operations and business while you focus on the growth of your enterprise!
Quick Read: How Telematics Can Be The Key For Global Growth